Monday 1 November 2010

Research into Different Brands of Alcohol

Using the mind maps that I had created in my sketchbook, I was able to determine 6 different brands that I could use for my projects and they are:
  • Harveys
  • Guinness
  • Tia Maria
  • Malibu
  • Cremont
  • Tequila

And using these drinks I will look into them closer to determine which one I would like to use.
To begin with I will be looking into Harveys.

Unfortunately there are no televised adverts for Harveys, therefore I cannot make any analysis on what they are like. However, I have found an image that I could use as a basis.

This image portrays the brewery in an old style painting like image. This may be because they might want to show that the brewery has been around for a long time and therefore the setting that the brewery is in is also old style.


Guinness:


Each of these are posters that Guinness have used to promote the drink. Each of them have a character within them that makes the campange more personalised, which then allows for people to be able to relate to them.





















Here I have found 2 previous adverts that have been created for Guinness.
Each of them are different however there are some similarities, for example the catchphrase 'Good things come to those who wait.' This phrase demonstrates what people will have when they order a beer. Another common link between them is having normal, everyday people doing things that are different, one shows the evolution of man (backwards), whilst the other is a village full of people coming together to create a large version of dominos. Each of these are interesting to look at, and having looked at each of the posters and video closer I feel I could create something similar. However, I will not be choosing Guinness because their adverts (print and screen) are so widely recognised that there will be an enormous amount of pressure to keep up the standard set.

Tia Maria:
I did look into print adverts for Tia Maria however I could not find any that I could use therefore I will be only analysing the screen work.




















I have chosen one of the original videos that was used to make Tia Maria a well known alcoholic brand. Using a famous model (Iman) the consumer are able to remember the drink from the advert via remembering the model. However, since that advertisement, in the 1980's, Tia Maria have not used famous people anymore, they have just continued the theme of making Tia Maria an after Dinner, sophisticated drink. However, since 2001, Tia Maria Changed their Advertising, I think because this allows for the target audience to be widen, and not just to older, and more sophisticated adults. Their advertising now to a younger audience, making the adverts more sensual and exciting, and the tag line used is 'The Dark Spirit.'

Malibu:
Here are 2 Posters that were used to advertise the product.

I feel that these are very colourful and interesting to look at. Also, due to the nature of these they look homemade.










Here are 2 videos that I have found using YouTube. Each of these use a caribbean theme, which relates to the theme and the flavour of the drink, which is coconut.
I feel that each of these videos are quite humerous, therefore if I were to create something for this brand I would have to carry on with that humerous style, as well as making making it very colourful.

Cremont:
Unfortunately due to the lack of knowledge people rarely know what Cremont is. Cremont is basically like Champagne, however it is from a different region (burgundy). And therefore has a different name. I am unable to find any sort of advertisement, therefore I can then not analise anything. However, from my knowledge of the drink I am able to determine that it is a drink for special occassions.

Tequila: Here is a poster that was used to advertise a popular brand of Tequila. However, I recognise the branding, but I do not recognise the poster that I have got. I feel that this poster includes an old style theme of black and white, and then using a colour, which then makes the brand stand out.








Lastly I have found 2 videos that allows me to see how the advertisers advertise this brand of alcoholic drink.
The first one looks like an advert for a film, by using stills of the characters, quotes (as if from critics) and colours and greyscale. I feel that this advert is effective because it makes the advert seem personalised by grouping the types of people, that the audience would relate to.
The second video is a bit confusing, mainly because there is no clear indication into what the advert is about until quite a way into the video, and even then I cannot really undertand it properly. This is not very good, because if the audience does not understand what you are trying to sell, then you won't sell anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment